Monday, June 3, 2013

Week 6 - Building Knowledge (Genres)

1.  I had great difiicutly getting into Locus last week.  This week I discovered that it was up and running.  It has the full magzine to read and get advisory information from.  I found that I enjoyed that part of the sight.


Assignment 2- Prezi link of Fiction Genres and subgenres.  I found this helpful in providing subgenres and information about them that hopefully will help me be more discerning when speaking with customers.


Assignmnet 3-  Pick 3 subgenres

Fan website for each subgenre:  I found this to be difficult for me.  I tried Google searching in several different ways.The fan websites I found for Steampunk Science Fiction and Superhuman science Fiction had the fans excited about clothing or what I would call toys that could be made or purchased.  The visual effects were more important than the written material.

3 Authors or titles that are associated with or typify the 3 genres I chose.  The hallmarks or appeal factors of each subgenre.

Steampunk Science Fiction:  Set in Victorian England and sometimes the Wild West. Alternate steam power with cogs and machinery.  A fan recommended Predator Cities a series by Philip Reeves for Teens.

Superhuman Science Fiction:  Once Crowded  Sky by Tom King  Main characters possess superhuman abilities and are pitted against powerful foes.

Magical Realism:  magic and the real world combine.  e.g. Suzannea Clarke's  Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell;  Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern;  Magician King by Lev Grossman


Mashups:  Isabel Allende's House of the Spirits would fall into the romance genre as well as Magical realism.  It deals with the other world, as well as the romance.
 Cibola's Promise by Erin Lausten is a Western Steampunk Adventure.  It contains the Western Setting and Clothing and adds the adventure of the West as well as the  haunting in their lives and what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment